About Dr. Dylan A Joseph
Dr Joseph is a consultant ophthalmic surgeon who has been fellowship trained in refractive, lens and cataract surgery at a world-leading clinic in Dublin, Ireland with Mr Arthur Cummings. Having spent two years perfecting the art of laser vision correction whilst abroad, Dr Joseph has returned to the Garden Route to provide the same level of expertise on identical technology he used in Europe.
He qualified from the University of Bloemfontein in South Africa, cum laude, winning the prestigious Dean’s medal. This award is bestowed upon the student in the post-graduate medical faculty with the highest overall marks accumulated during training. He also completed his post-graduate degree at the College of Surgeons of South Africa and is registered as a specialist ophthalmic surgeon with the Irish Medical Council and the General Medical Council in Britain.
Dr Joseph was involved in the first clinical trials in the world with Mr Cummings for the Streamlight laser vision correction procedure, which was presented to the world at the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons in 2018. At his refractive suite, which is situated in the Advanced Surgical Centre in Knysna, Dr Joseph uses among the safest, most efficient and advanced technology to treat his patients. The WaveLight refractive suite is one of two full suites in the country which is entirely bladeless and provides a platform to fully customise and optimise your vision.
Dr Joseph offers Contoura ™ Vision LASIK, which is completely customised to the contour of your eye, targeting the best visual quality and contrast under all lighting conditions. He also focuses on cataract and lens-based surgery, with vast experience in EDOF or the extended depth of field technology, and trifocal intraocular lens implants. These types of advanced laser vision modalities and lens procedures in South Africa and across the globe help to reduce, or eliminate in most cases, your dependency on eye spectacles, contact lenses or reading glasses.
Whether performing refractive surgery or cataract surgery, Dr Joseph strives to attain the best possible visual outcome for his patients.
Awards and achievements:
Graduated with anMMed Ophthalmology degree and achieved cum laude in 2012.
Winner of the Dean’s medal for the top master’s degree student in the faculty of medicine.
Placed first for the clinical poster presentation on faculty day 2009 at the UFS.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author of “The Prevalence of Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome in a Central South African Population” in 2008
- A Summary of SASCRS 2009 part 1, published in the South African Ophthalmology Journal Autumn in 2010.
- A Summary of SASCRS 2009 part 2, published in the South African Ophthalmology Journal Summer in 2010.
- A Summary of OSSA 2010 published in South African Ophthalmology Journal Summer in 2011.
- Poster presentation at SAGS 2010-incidental or consequential. Angle-closure glaucoma after NAION.
- Summary of OSSA 2011 published in Autumn South African Journal of Ophthalmology.
- “What do doctors do when not operating on cataracts?” was published in the Autumn edition of South African Ophthalmology Journal in 2011.
- A Summary of SAGS 2011 published in the Winter edition of South African Ophthalmology Journal.
- CPD talk for general practitioners at the Knysna Life Private Hospital in 2012: The Eye on Fire.
- CPD talk for general practitioners at the Plettenberg Bay Mediclinic in 2012: The Eye on Fire.
- Macular Degeneration was presented to the optometrists and general practitioners in Plettenberg Bay, South Africa, during September 2013.
- The OSSA 2015 presentation on the I Stent-groundbreaking technology in the fight against glaucoma.
- A presentation on the South African Glaucoma Society’s 6-month data collected, as well as the results of the iStent.
- South African Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons meeting in 2015: When Irish Eyes are Smiling.
- South African Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons meeting in 2015 about presbyopia solutions: The Holy Grail of Ophthalmology.
- OSSA 2017 presentation on ‘Symphony Visual Harmony’. This included 18-months’ data on the state-of-the-art extended depth of field intraocular lens.
- CPD talk to optometrists about ‘The Eye on Fire’ at the Beacon Hospital in Dublin, Ireland.
- CPD talk to optometrists about the advances in intraocular lens technology in Dublin, Ireland, in 2018.
- CPD talk to optometrists about biometry challenges and post-refractive IOL work-up in Dublin, Ireland, in 2018.
- CPD talk to pharmacists about dry eye classification and management (From Fire to Ice) in Dublin, Ireland, in 2018.
- ESCRS 2018 in Barcelona. Streamlight: the new horizon in advanced surface ablation.
- ASCRS 2018 co-author with Mr Arthur Cummings: Streamlight advanced surface ablation.
- OSSA 2019: Contoura Vision-shaping visual outcomes.
- OSSA 2019: Make refractive attractive Workshop-chair and speaker:
- Contoura Vision-Shaping visual outcomes
- Streamlight procedure.
- OSSA 2019 in Cape Town.
- ESCRS 2018 in Barcelona Spain.
- WaveLight user meeting in Vienna, Austria 2018.
- ESCRS 2017-Lisbon in Portugal.
- Ophthalmology Society of South Africa 2017 in Port Elizabeth.
- ESCRS 2015 in Barcelona, Spain(European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons).
- Ophthalmological Society of South Africa meeting in Durban, 2015.
- South African Glaucoma Society meeting inZimbali, 2015.
- Ophthalmological Society of South Africa meeting in Drakensberg, 2014.
- South African Glaucoma Society meeting in Spier, 2014.
- South African Vitreoretinal Society meeting in Simola, 2014.
- South African Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons Congress in Zambia, Victoria Falls in August 2013.
- South African Vitreoretinal Society meeting in Magaliesberg, 2013.
- South African Glaucoma Society meeting inOubaai, 2013.
- Ophthalmology Society of South Africa meeting in Cape Town, 2013.
- Ophthalmology Society of South Africa meeting in Durban, 2012.
- South African Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons in Durban, 2011.
- South African Glaucoma Society meeting at Spier wine estate in Stellenbosch, 2011.
- Ophthalmology Society of South Africa meeting in Port Elizabeth, 2011.
- Cape eye symposium in 2011.
- Ocular trauma meeting in Pretoria, 2010.
- South African Glaucoma Society meeting in 2010.
- Ophthalmology Society of South Africa meeting at Sun City in 2010.
- Cape eye symposium meeting in 2009.
- South African Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons in Sandton, 2009.
- Ophthalmology Society of South Africa in Durban, 2009.
- Jacaranda Strabismus symposium in Pretoria, 2006.
- Ophthalmology Society of South Africa meeting at Sun City in 2006.
- OSSA-Ophthalmology Society of South Africa.
- SAGS-South African Glaucoma Society.
- SASCRS-South African Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
- ESCRS-European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
- RSA-Refractive Surgery Alliance.
Courses or wet labs attended
- Phaco techniques wet-lab Johannesburg in 2006.
- i-Stent insertion Course-Armenia in 2014.
- Implantable Collamer Lens course in Lisbon, Portugal at ESCRS